Clement Moore house and previously the Auser tenent farm (1741) to the Phillipsberg Manor  

Clement Moore's cottage in Ossining
(aka Christmas House)
c. 1740

 

 

Clement Moore, the likely author of the poem "A Visit From St. Nicholas" ("The night before Christmas"), owned this home in the mid 1800's. His famous poem was written before bought the house on Dec. 16th, 1839, but one could not conjure a setting better made for it. The core of the house was built in 1740 by the Orser(aka Auser)family as the northern-most tenant farm house to the Philipsburg Manor in Tarrytown. (The Van Cortlandt Manor begins just two miles north and across the Croton River).

Hand hewn beams are overhead and throughout the basement. The magnificent fireplace is lined with original delft tile. The original brick was covered with fine wood paneling and carved ornament around 1880 or 1890 as part of a major renovation and expansion carried out by Stanford White of the firm McKim, Mead, and White. During that expansion the house was more than doubled in size adding a three story west wing and a large sun room to the east. The character of the original core, while modified, retained much of its pre revolutionary feeling and most of its hand hewn, dowled structure. Anyone who has spent the night there - especially Christmas eve, is left enchanted. Truly.

  
  
  
  

Email To A Friend




Please Sign Guest Book




Back to Ossining Home Page.


 

 

 

 

Photos by G.W.Hougham and G.G. Hougham 1999.